Monday, January 6, 2014

Back to school after the holidays


We started back at school this week and Thomas did really well with the transition back into the classroom.  I was hoping that since he had started waving in other places, he might want to start waving to people at school, but he is not comfortable with that yet.  

I met with the teachers to discuss how he did the first day back and he did call out something during circle time about the book they were reading, so the teachers thought that was great.  He was also talking with the teachers very well when it was just them and us during our meeting.  They informed me that he still won’t sit in circle time, but he sits very close to the circle in a little toy area.  I completely believe this is sensory related, because he won’t sit on any floor with children at school, the library, church or anywhere.  He actually told me the other day that he wanted to sit in circle time, but that there wasn’t “enough space.”   He is also having trouble at chapel time at school where they sit, kneel, stand, fold their hands to pray- any movement.  Dr. E. has told me that she thinks his sm might be stemming from some sensory issues, so I am in the process of setting up an appointment with an OT who deals with sensory processing in children that is near our house and is covered by insurance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment