Friday, February 24, 2017

The power of books for children with anxiety

Spontaneity does not occur very often in our household.  Sure there are fun surprises here and there, but it is safe to say that we don't jump into new things quickly.  Raising two boys (3 and 6) with sensory sensitivities, with one of them overcoming selective mutism, requires lots of preparation on my part.  New situations and experiences are often very difficult for them.  I have found that preparing my boys ahead of time with discussions on where we are going, who will be there, if it will be loud, what will be expected of them, etc. is essential to preventing a meltdown/shutdown from occurring.

Granted, I know I cannot prepare them for every situation they will encounter, but talking it through and answering their questions helps my boys feel more secure.  One of the most powerful things I have relied on to help me build their confidence and validate their feelings are books.  We have read books to help my son with his selective mutism, sensory challenges, anxiety over the first day of school, visiting the dentist, playdates and the list goes on and on.  Stories play a vital role in the development and growth of a child.  As a mom and a professional with a masters in information science, (specialization in children's literature) I have seen time and time again the power of the right book in the right hands at the right time.  Books provide inspiration, promote curiosity, give children a sense of security, provide characters that they can relate to, and act as a catalyst for further discussion.

Our story of selective mutism and sensory difficulties are documented in this blog, but as I move forward, this blog will become less and less about my family and more about creating awareness and providing resources to help others dealing with sm, spd, and childhood anxiety in general.  Beginning next week, I will be using each Friday to highlight a book on my blog.  It may be related to selective mutism or sensory challenges.  It may be a book that focuses on building confidence in children, especially those with anxiety.  It may be a book for children or occasionally a nonfiction book for adults in this subject area; however the majority will focus on books for children and middle grades, as that is my specialization.  I will be giving my honest reviews, sharing why they did or didn't go over well with my children and then you can decide if it would be helpful to share with your family.

I would love to know what books you have used to help yourself, your child or grandchild through a difficult time with selective mutism, sensory challenges, not fitting in, anxiety, etc.  Please use the contact form to send me a message and I will give you a shout out if I use the book.  My hope is that we can get the right books in the right hands at the right time to build confidence in our children.


No comments:

Post a Comment