Thursday, July 31, 2014

OT-Take two


After an unsuccessful first session, we headed back to our OT for round two.  I was really hoping that Thomas would open up, because 1) she can't help him if he won't participate and 2) I really don't like writing out a huge check to have him sit on my lap for 45 minutes.   I explained in my last update that he was unable to be evaluated at our first session, but after giving her an extremely detailed account of Thomas and all his sensory issues, we had a much better session yesterday.  She is unable to get her hands on him due to his resistance, so she is first trying to gain his trust and then she will work in sensory activities through play once he is comfortable.  It took awhile, but this time he warmed up through play and started talking to her.  The key is to really make it easy going with no expectation.  She wanted to see us weekly, but I explained with her sessions and the Smart center being out of pocket we simply cannot afford it.  Not to mention I need to get a babysitter for our baby each time and she lives over 30 minutes away in another state!  We are going to try every other week for now and do everything we can to make this work, since this seems to be our missing puzzle piece that is really creating major obstacles for Thomas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment