Friday, June 17, 2016

Kiddie Carnival Disaster

Every year the carnival comes to a town near us in June and we take the boys one evening.  We usually get some ice cream, play some games and maybe do a little ride or two.  This year we decided to go on kid's wrist band day on an incredibly hot afternoon after school.  The boys were tired. It was hot.  Thomas was also just getting over being sick.  We bought a few ride tickets, but Thomas was too scared to go on anything by himself and Liam was too short for the only ride he wanted to go on (bumper cars).  So I decided to take them on the merry go round, which has been hit or miss in the past.  Well this time it was a big miss!

Thomas and Liam had panic attacks on the merry go round and I was in the middle trying to keep both of them from jumping off their horses into my arms.  I think Thomas is truly terrified of the up and down motion of the horse and can only attribute this sincere fear to a sensory issue.  I cannot wrap my brain around this fear.  Liam on the other hand, could have been reacting to his brother's reaction or could have been experiencing the same fear.  He still won't go on swings and he definitely has some of his own sensory issues.  Ugh.  Either way I felt defeated.  Then we went to get water ice and they were out of the only flavor they wanted.  My three year old threw a tantrum and we left.  The whole carnival was one big, hot disaster.  We all left frustrated, but my husband and I were able to laugh about it later that night!  I mean full out panic attacks on the merry go round and me screaming in frustration!?!?  We must have looked crazy!!  Wouldn't be the first time though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment