Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Spike in separation anxiety at end of school year/beginning of summer

is   Thomas is currently suffering from pretty severe separation anxiety.  It intensifies and weans throughout the year.  For the past three years, every May til around mid July, he begins to get very intense separation anxiety and extreme clinginess to both my husband and I.  Looking back through this blog, I can see the same type of post written this time of year.  I attribute it to the fact that the end of the school year brings about a disruption of routine with class trips, ceremonies, more casual class time, etc and also adjusting from a school routine to a more laid back summer routine.  The beginning of summer was particularly difficult.  At home, Thomas has been having trouble being on a separate floor from me.  He is quick to follow if I need to go upstairs and gets upset very quickly if he can’t find me.  If he is with his three year old brother though, he is okay.  He also has trouble getting out of bed in the morning without me there.  He calls for me and will not usually get out of bed until I come in.  Hoping it decreases as the summer goes on, as in years past.


No comments:

Post a Comment