Thursday, May 15, 2014

Communication notebook


The teachers and I write back and forth in a notebook to keep me updated every week.  I send weekly updates to his SM doctor and since I only know what Thomas tells me, this allows me to get a better understanding of his progress or regression.  It has been a very useful tool recommended by Dr. E.  I admit I hated asking the teacher to do yet another thing for us, but it is such a useful tool.  As your child's advocate you really have to know how school is going for them and have a very open line of communication with the teachers.  I am sure they get annoyed by me, but somewhere in the middle of this unbelievably crazy journey I truly stopped worrying so much about what other people thought.  I have one goal, and that is to help my son overcome his SM, so I will do whatever I can to make his own journey easier for him. 
In the notebook this week they said, that this is the first week all year that when they line up to go outside or to go to another room, he has gotten in line by himself without needing to hold a teacher’s hand.  He has been whispering answers to them and also occasionally initiating some things.  He likes to help out and is very concerned about the other children.  The teacher said when a child is crying or others are fighting, he tells the teacher that “We better go over there.”  She said he once went right over to the kids fighting and said “What’s going on here?” Ha!  He is quick to help children with things and will explain things to them, but when they ask him to play, he ignores them.

No comments:

Post a Comment