Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Greatest Show on Earth?


Thomas has been having a lot of trouble at school the past two weeks.  He has been telling me this week that he doesn’t want to be on stage for "the circus."  I had no idea what he was talking about, so after talking with the teachers I found out at school that they have been practicing for their graduation ceremony which includes all of the classes in the school putting on a big circus show (play) as part of the ceremony for the parents.  Great.  

He was really upset about this, so I went in to observe what all this entailed.  My heart absolutely broke for him as I saw how terrified he was going in to practice.    I could see and feel his anxiety and I was so upset that I didn’t know he was going through this every time he was at school.  It is an absolute nightmare for him.  It involves a lot of children he is not familiar with, there is music, marching, and dancing all on a big stage. I made it clear to him that he would not have to go on stage anymore if he didn't want to.  The poor kid was practically jumping in my arms out of fright.  The teachers and I came up with the idea about him being the special helper and helping the teacher grab the props from below as they came off stage.  He planted his feet and wanted no part of this.  The entire time we were in there he was pulling at my pants, my watch, my hair anything he could grab, he was so anxious.  The even bigger problem with this is that every day until June 11th, they will be practicing this for an hour during class time, so he is going to feel this way every time he goes to school.  I am at a loss as to how else to help him and feel horrible dropping him off knowing what he has to go through with this.  His teacher has to help the children on stage, so there is no one to sit with him.  I am just so upset about the whole situation and don’t know how else to help him with this.  

My heart just broke as we watched all those children having a great time and my little boy is so terrified clinging to me.  Graduation is supposed to be such an exciting day for the children and parents and I don’t even know if he should go.   It definitely won't be enjoyable for any of us, but I also don't want to teach him it's okay to avoid scary situations.  He said last night that he really wants to be on stage, but he can’t.  On his scary chart it is the scariest man, which is the only time he has ever pointed to this :(   I am usually very positive about his SM and our journey.  He has made so much progress and we just push on with what we have to do, but this really has me feeling so sad for him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment