Sunday, May 11, 2014

The best gift I could ask for


Yesterday our town had a town wide yard sale and we were selling.  We thought it would be a great opportunity for Thomas to play his therapy games by being a cashier for the water and snacks we were selling.  There was absolutely no pressure for him to talk, but he knew he could earn stickers on his chart by playing his CBT games.  He did amazing.  He ended up saying hi most times and answering common questions about the price of the snacks and what we had.  He would also say thank you most times when prompted.  We did a lot of prep with him before hand, anticipating questions he might get so he felt confident answering.  Later we even walked around to some houses and if something didn’t have a price on it that he wanted he asked how much it was and said thank you. 

I can see his confidence growing and this summer should be a very productive one.  The place I can really still see that anxiety in his body language and face is at school.  I am going into help with the Spot on Wednesday, because I was able to get a babysitter, so hopefully this will help.  He really worked hard and I think he even surpassed playing 100 games this week.  So proud of him.  Really the best Mother’s Day gift I could ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment