Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Spot work success


I was able to go to Thomas's school today to help with the spot at school and it went great.  I brought in an eye spy preschool game and had Thomas and two other children take turns identifying objects before finding them.  He did really well.  Since it takes him a few seconds to answer a question, the other child started answering for him, so we had to make sure to emphasize to give Thomas time.  He did answer them though which is huge!  I also took in some flash cards and held up two at a time and asked silly questions.  This really got Thomas laughing and he would actually yell the right answers if I said the wrong thing on purpose.  I.e.  I would hold up a picture of a frog and say, “Does a frog go quack quack, etc.”  He had a great time.  Other children were curious and joined and left throughout and he was fine with it.  When I picked him up from preschool that day, the teacher said he had one of his best days ever.  This just proves to me that they are not doing the spot when I am not there like they are supposed to.  It is frustrating, but I am trying to help when I can.  I have already discussed this with his school for next year and they said they will make sure it will happen, so I am looking towards next year for that.

On the way out I saw his teacher from last year, who was the one who first informed me of the term selective mutism and to just keep it on my radar.  Without her knowledge, I am not sure if we'd been on the path we are on today.  She was telling me how she could see improvements and that I should be so proud of myself for all the hard work I have done to help him.  Not many people get SM, but she does and it is so refreshing!  So many people have no idea how heart breaking and difficult SM is for children and also their parents who are watching their children live in fear every day.  Every day there are so many challenges and it is so nice when someone truly understands what you are doing for your child and how tirelessly you work to be their advocate.  It was just what I needed today!

No comments:

Post a Comment